History of Rehoboth Town Hall

  • Built in 1956 as a Nike Missile Site
  • Acquired as Rehoboth’s Town Hall in 1971 from the Federal Government for $5,900. Appropriated $12,000 for renovations, furnishings, and equipment.
  • 10-19-1987 – Establishment of Town Building Needs Study Committee.
  • April 9, 1990 committee report stated “we had determined that the most serious problems were with Town Hall and the Police Department and should be addressed as soon as possible”.
  • First Discussion of Building a New Town Hall – 1999-2000
    • Cost of Project = $2,500,000 (one building - Town Hall only)
      • Defeated by 120 votes = 385 (yes) 505 (no)
  • Second Discussion – Public Safety Building – June 27, 2005 and again on September 12, 2005 ~ Debt Exclusions
    • Cost of Project = $2,900,000 (one building - Public Safety only)
      • Defeated by 17 votes = 433 (yes) 450 (no) on 6/27/05 and
        Defeated by 929 votes in September = 114 (yes) 1,043 (no).
  • Third Discussion 2012 - Purchase 340 Anawan for Town Hall – June 26, 2012 Debt Exclusion
    • Cost of Project = $1,800,000 (one building - Town Hall only)
      • Defeated by 362 votes = 666 (yes) and 1,028 (no)
  • Fourth Discussion 2016 – Government Complex – (Six facilities in one building - Town Hall - Public Safety - Building) Town Hall, Police, Fire, Ambulance, REMA, and Building Department